Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blueberry cheesecake muffins

I've been eyeing this recipe on Peas and Thank You for a long time now and after I stopped at the bank today I decided to pick up some stuff to make them.





Here is what you need:

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular whole wheat flour)
1/2 c. unbleached organic flour (I used regular flour)
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. organic sugar ( I used regular sugar)
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. non-dairy or organic milk ( I used rice milk)
1/2 t. almond extract ( I did not use this at all, because I have a nut allergy)
1 c. blueberries ( I used frozen)
1/2 c. non-dairy (such as Tofutti) or organic cream cheese ( I used light cream cheese from stop and shop)
1/2 c. organic powdered sugar ( I used regular powdered sugar)
1/2 t. vanilla


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine sugar, applesauce, milk and almond extract.
Add milk/sugar mixture to flours and stir gently to combine.

You can see I used my trusty piggy spoon for all of the mixing


-Fold in blueberries. (Because I used frozen it turned my batter a purple color)

-Set batter aside temporarily and prepare “cheese”cake filling by beating together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Do not overbeat.
(I only had to beat it for like 30 seconds using a old hand mixer)

-Line a muffin tin with papers or spray with cooking spray.
Fill each cup 1/3 of the way full with blueberry batter.
Top each muffin with a spoonful of “cheese”cake filling
and then top with an additional scoop of blueberry batter.
Spread the batter out with a small spoon or your finger so that “cheese”cake filling is covered.
Bake muffins for 23-25 minutes until they are golden and set.


Ta Da

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, these look tasty. Is the texture very different from cupcakes? I think I would try adding lemon in there somehow.

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exactly like muffins! Lemon zest would have been a good idea, maybe next batch!!

      Delete